Wednesday, August 26, 2015

It's Okay, That's Love (Rate: 4/5)

So, I actually like reviewing things because I like making comments about things. Most of the time, I prefer mini reviews because I'm lazy, but I want to start making real reviews. So, here's my first.

A friend of mine recommended this series to me.


It's Okay, That's Love (괜찮아, 사랑이야) tells a story about abnormality. As a student majoring in clinical psychology, of course I got curious on how they portray mental patients. You know, people tend to stigmatize them, right?

Tl;dr: a PG-15ish story about a psychiatrist and an author who both have mental problems. Very nice for professionals, might be a little hard for non-professionals, but it's enjoyable.

(A break for possible spoilers)


The story revolves around Jang Jae-Yeol, an author, and Ji Hae-Soo, a psychiatrist. They first met on a talk show, and later it's like they're destined to always see each other. Before that, Jae-Yeol was stabbed on the shoulder by his older brother. And after that, Jae-Yeol's book got plagiarized by his girlfriend with the help of his friend. Also, he had to move out from his house because there's some kind of renovation.

That's when he found out that he's going to move in to Hae-Soo's house. They lived together with Jo Dong-Min, Hae-Soo's senior (also a psychiatrist), and Park Soo-Kwang, a waiter who has Tourette Syndrome. Jae-Yeol and Hae-Soo fought a lot. I know, right, so typical of a K-drama.

One day, Jae-Yeol met Hae-Soo's boyfriend. He realized that he saw him backstage at the talk show, kissing another girl (who was Hae-Soo's friend too). He told Hae-Soo and they broke up. That's when Jae-Yeol got to hear their conversation about Hae-Soo's abnormality.

Hae-Soo was afraid of physical intimacy because she saw her mother kissing another man when she was little. She got anxious every time any man attempt any kind of physical intimacy.

Jae-Yeol himself had OCD that made him obsessed with colors. He also had to sleep in his bathroom. Jae-Yeol had a fan that aspired to be a writer just like him. He's really protective to him.

The first 8-9 episodes were about Jae-Yeol trying to go out with Hae-Soo. After that, it got more interesting (for me as a clinician-to-be, though). Jae-Yeol's disorder didn't stop at OCD. It went further and well, you should watch it. Haha.

The series definitely has some sexual materials so I guess it's at least PG-15? Also, the storyline is a bit complicated and there are medical terms too. But they provide a "translation" so perhaps it would help. I personally didn't find them hard, though. I guess people in medicine/psychology field wouldn't find them hard either.

On a more personal note, I think the series can depict the patients well. It's good to see people with mental problems can live normally as opposed to what society thinks. An OCD patient who is not all about neatness and cleanliness, schizophrenic patients who can get married and live happily with their family members, etc. It helps lessen the stigma, hopefully.

It's also good for professionals because I found some tips that are rational and applicable to use. I don't know about its medical correctness, though, but for me it's logical and as a firm believer of psychoanalysis-based theory, I approve.

While watching this, I also had some personal problems. I realized that there are people whose cry for help isn't heard. And those people can hide really, really well.

So, stay safe, ppl!

(And please find help if you feel like you need one)

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 

Blog Template by SuckMyLolly.com